home      service centre   |   publications   |   football family   |   competitions   

China hold heads high despite defeat by Brazil

© Reuters 2002

By Jeremy Page

SOGWIPO, South Korea, June 8 (Reuters) - World Cup debutants China can hold their heads high after a spirited performance against Brazil even if the four-time world champions walked away with an easy 4-0 win, coach Bora Milutinovic said on Saturday. "Brazil is Brazil," said the Serbian after China's second defeat in Group C. They lost 2-0 loss to Costa Rica on Tuesday.

"Of course no one likes to lose, but I am very happy with the way we played. We only need to repeat the way we played tonight and I think we have a chance to win the Turkey game." Cheered on by about 20,000 Chinese fans, beating drums and draped in national flags, China made a bold start, piling the pressure on the Brazilians in the first 20 minutes and pulling off some slick moves in midfield.

But they failed to capitalise on the few opportunities they created up front and were soon outclassed by the Brazilians, who cruised to a 3-0 halftime lead. China's defence was clearly weakened by the absence of injured defenders Fan Zhiyi and Sun Jihai, their most experienced players.

Milutinovic said his team had learnt valuable lessons from its encounter with some of the world's top footballers, which they would put to use against Turkey in Seoul on Thursday. "I think they had a very excellent experience," he said. "This is so exciting for them. They learned. They played against the best players in the world and they see they can play. This is important."

FANS PHILOSOPHICAL
Captain Ma Mingyu was pleased with China's performance despite the result and thanked the fans for their continued support despite two consecutive defeats. "Whatever happened, we were determined not to give up," he said. "In the end we lost, but we kept fighting until the 90th minute."

"The difference (between the teams) is so great. But I think we played well, we made some good moves, we just couldn't maintain the pressure." Ma had China's best first-half chance in the 37th minute but his shot deflected off a defender's head and sailed over the bar.

He had another opening in the second half when he was sent clear but could not control the ball. A minute later, midfielder Zhao Junzhe hit the post from the edge of the penalty area. Chinese fans said they were disappointed their team had not scored a goal, but were satisfied that the result was not too humiliating.

"You know it's quite something for China just to be here. Of course, we dreamed of a victory, but I think the players did their best today," said Huo Yuanjia, 35, a businessman from Beijing. "The atmosphere was great. I am still glad I came even if we can't reach the second round," he said.

China's 80 million-odd soccer fans were hoping Milutinovic could spirit his team into the last 16, as he did Mexico, Costa Rica, the United States and Nigeria in previous World Cups. But China have no points from two games and need an unlikely combination of results to proceed.

Reports provided by

Friday, 14 June
Japan inspire national celebrations
South Korea and U.S. through, Portugal out
Thursday, 13 June
Trapattoni relieved as Italy survive
Ecstatic Turkey qualify for first time
Wednesday, 12 June
Agony for South Africa after Spain defeat
Argentina feel they deserved more
Tuesday, 11 June
Steely rather than silky, Germany power on
France out as Danes and Senegal go through
Monday, 10 June
Steely Senegal determined to go further
Ireland midfielder McAteer fit for Saudi showdown
Sunday, 9 June
Torrado strikes a goal for his and Mexico's future
U.S. coach Arena expects big guns to reach last 16

Copyright © 1994-2002 FIFA. All rights reserved.
  Copyright © 1994-2002 En-Linea, Inc. All rights reserved.