home      service centre   |   publications   |   football family   |   competitions   

Proud Beckham says captaincy has improved him

© Reuters 2002

LONDON, Feb 10 (Reuters) - David Beckham says he never expected to become England captain but the midfielder thinks the responsibility has made him a better player.

Speaking in a Sky television documentary - "David Beckham Close-up" - on Sunday the Manchester United player said that becoming captain had helped lift his game to a new level.

"Before I got the captaincy I had played a lot for England but never probably to my full potential," he said. "It seems to have given me a new lease of life - which even I'm starting to realise now.

"I never saw myself as a captain. I had always hoped to be but I'm not the sort of person who goes out and shouts a lot.

"I just try to perform and work hard and I think that rubs off on other players - especially because England are such a young team."

Beckham was first given the captaincy by caretaker manager Peter Taylor for the friendly against Italy in November 2000, describing the honour as "the proudest moment of my career".

In that game, won 1-0 by the Italians, Beckham refused to respond to provocation from midfielder Gennaro Gattuso after the two clashed in Italy's penalty area and said it was an important moment in his career.

"Maybe that was a turning point, the way I reacted in that game - the fact that I didn't react and just walked away," said the player remembered for being sent off after kicking out at Diego Simeone when fouled by the Argentine in the 1998 World Cup.

PHENOMENAL PERFORMANCE
When Sven Goran Eriksson took over as England manager he had no hesitation in keeping Beckham as captain and his faith was repaid when the midfielder produced a phenomenal performance, topped by a last-minute goal, in the 2-2 draw with Greece that sent England to the World Cup finals in Korea and Japan.

"We had 15 or 20 minutes to try to get through so I went walkabout and tried a few things," Beckham said. "In that game I probably worked harder than I've ever worked in a game." Eriksson agreed: "He won it for us," he said.

"He deserved it because he pushed the team, especially in the second half." The quietly-spoken Swede says there is no need for the captain to be loud - if he leads by example. "The players have respect for him - as a footballer and a man - so he doesn't have to tell them he's the captain," Eriksson said.

Beckham, who is set to play for England in a friendly against the Netherlands on Wednesday, is now looking ahead to the World Cup finals.

"As a nation we need the England team to start doing well in the big competitions," he said. "We haven't had a lot of luck in the last 10 years but it definitely changed with the Greece match - and the chances Germany missed against Finland."

Germany could only draw 0-0 to finish behind England and were forced to beat Ukraine in a playoff to reach the finals.

"We have got a lot of individuals that make each other click and there's a nice atmosphere between the players so we are all looking forward to it," added Beckham.

Reports provided by

Sunday, 17 February
Japan defender Hattori out for six to eight weeks
England's Eriksson happy to have youth on his side
Saturday, 16 February
North Korea beat Thais to win King's Cup on penalties
Togo's Sara de Bafilo banned after missing cup match
Friday, 15 February
Former Denmark striker Eriksen dies at 44
Portugal goalkeeper Quim suspended over drugs test
Football fanatic keeps the faith
Ireland to start Euro 2004 campaign in Moscow
China and Slovenia struggle in Hong Kong
'McVogts' aims for Euro 2004 at Germany's expense
Puskas weeps as tributes pour in for Hungary's Hidegkuti
James cheered by England return
Collated results of international friendlies
Mexico coach no longer fears Cup opponents Croatia
Thursday, 14 February
Asian Games to follow Olympic U-23 format
North Korea beat Thailand in Kings Cup final rehearsal
Vivas hopes for quick Ronaldo return
Top players to continue image rights negotiations
Caniggia looks to mend rift with Maradona
'Kabul United' and foreign troops train for sellout match
Former Spanish coach Balmanya dies aged 87
U.S. rue missed chances in Italy
Wednesday, 13 February
Olisadebe dreads possible Poland-Nigeria clash
South Africa FA to review coach Quieroz's future
Eriksson reaches out to England's adults
Mexico happy to be facing strong Yugoslavian side
Tuesday, 12 February
Ireland likely to test new boys against Russia
Italy new boys handed chance to impress
Belgium coach Waseige to experiment against Norway
Beckham and Gerrard train with England
Van Nistelrooy hails England and Beckham
Coach Jozic looking for consistency from Croatia
England ready for experiments galore
Monday, 11 February
England wait on Beckham and Gerrard fitness
Belgium's Mpenza, Valgaeren out of Norway friendly
Beckham hopes to be fit for Dutch test
Bulgaria coach vows new tactics against Croatia
Lemerre has not ruled Anelka out yet
European-based trio strengthen Ecuador
Trapattoni looking to experiment against U.S.
Barthez pulls out of Romania friendly
McCarthy signs two-year Ireland deal

Copyright © 1994-2002 FIFA. All rights reserved.
  Copyright © 1994-2002 En-Linea, Inc. All rights reserved.