home      service centre   |   publications   |   football family   |   competitions   

Israel midfielder Revivo quits national team

© Reuters 2002

JERUSALEM Feb 18 (Reuters) - Midfielder Haim Revivo has quit the Israeli national team to concentrate on his club and family.

Revivo, who will be 30 on Friday, told the mass circulation Hebrew daily Yediot Aharonot that he could no longer juggle his commitments for Turkish club Fenerbahce, the national team and his family.

He said that he had come to the decision over the past few months. His international retirement will come as another blow to a side recovering from a 7-1 defeat by Germany last week when he was substituted in the 70th minute.

"Over time I have found it difficult to combine my commitments to the demanding Turkish league, the national team and to my family. I have simply begun to feel it emotionally and physically," Revivo said.

The midfielder said that Israel's failure to beat Austria in Tel Aviv last November for World Cup finals qualification had been turning point.

"I began to consider quitting (the national team) after the draw with Austria. It is one of the most difficult - if not the most difficult - decisions I have ever had to make," he said.

Revivo said that he did not think that he would change his mind over in the coming days. "This is not a spur-of-the-moment decision which has come after any specific match," he said as he related to Israel's humiliating 7-1 defeat by Germany in a friendly last week. "I simply feel that my time has come," he continued.

Revivo, who has 56 international appearances and has scored 12 times for Israel, said that he intended to speak to Israel Football Association chairman Gavri Levy and national coach Richard Moller Nielsen. "I'm sure that they will understand this move," he said.

However, IFA spokesman Shaul Eisenberg told Reuters on Monday that no phone conversation had yet taken place and he could not say whether one was expected.

"It's not our job to initiate these kinds of conversations, we'll wait and see if he calls," the spokesman said.

Reports provided by

Monday, 25 February
Cole sends reminder to Eriksson
Friedel triumphs over Spurs and U.S. rival Keller
Japan to set up nationwide soccer academies
Sunday, 24 February
Scots urged to back England
Saturday, 23 February
Hansen takes over as Danish association president
Friday, 22 February
Sweden to begin Euro 2004 campaign in Latvia
Strike threat hangs over Peruvian soccer
Maldini confident of fitness
Molina stays cool despite clamour for Spain recall
N'diaye still not back from African Nations Cup
Belgium set for massive home support
Thursday, 21 February
Japan defender Matsuda to miss training camp
Nigeria to face Dutch in warm-up
Slovenia plan friendly against Tunisia
Olembe hopes Cameroon will maintain momentum
New Nigeria coach to purge old-timers from squad
Andersson set to quit after Euro 2004
Waseige says Japan could drop Nakata
Impoverished Afghan athletes chase dream
Wednesday, 20 February
Seaman takes hesitant first step towards finals
Belgium coach Waseige to watch Japan train
Tuesday, 19 February
Slovenia hope stadium is ready for Euro qualifiers
Sweden coach optimistic about Andersson injury

Copyright © 1994-2002 FIFA. All rights reserved.
  Copyright © 1994-2002 En-Linea, Inc. All rights reserved.