home      service centre   |   publications   |   football family   |   competitions   

Veron waiting for Argentina call-up

© Reuters 2002

BUENOS AIRES, Oct 22 (Reuters) - Argentina midfielder Juan Sebastian Veron wants to continue playing for his country in spite of his World Cup disappointments and hopes to be picked for next month's friendly in Japan.

"Football always gives you a chance to make amends," the Manchester United player said in an interview with an Argentine radio station on Tuesday. "I'm hoping for it, I'm working for it and I hope it can happen soon.

"I still want to play for Argentina because my World Cup was not what I had expected."

But Veron said he had not had any contact with the Argentine national team since their shock first round elimination at the World Cup in South Korea and Japan.

"I haven't spoken to anyone," said Veron, whose own World Cup performances also fell way below expectations.

"Nobody has called me either, to be honest I don't know anything about a possible call-up."

An Argentine Football Association (AFA) spokesman said the squad for the November 20 match would probably be named early next month.

The AFA has surprisingly renewed the contract of coach Marcelo Bielsa, saying they preferred to judge his work over the previous four years rather than on the three matches at the World Cup.

Veron, who had Achilles tendon problems in the weeks leading up to the World Cup, said he was not fully fit for the tournament.

"I regret having played even though I was not in ideal condition," he said. "At these moments, one becomes a little selfish and I wanted to be there because of my desire to play, my desire to play for my country and for myself."
(C) Reuters Limited 2002.

Reports provided by

Wednesday, 30 October
Kaiserslautern play lottery to improve fortunes
Souness steels himself for Celtic mission
United cannot hide from humbling defeat says Ferdinand
Cruz Azul steal point in Venezuela
Reysol beat S-Pulse 1-0 on Edilson spot kick
Van Marwijk left bitter after Feyenoord defeat in Turin
Makaay delighted to keep Depor on course for second phase
Tuesday, 29 October
Sweden and Barcelona's Andersson to have surgery on injured thigh
Brazilian striker dies hours after scoring in Peru
East and Central African Senior Challenge Cup draw
Monday, 28 October
Collated All-Africa Games qualifying results
Romario tumble helps Fluminense to Rio derby win
Lightning strike kills second Colombia soccer star
Friday, 25 October
Macedonia coach Ilievski signs four-year contract
Scotland to face Austria in April friendly
Kenya seek to stretch unbeaten run in Four Nations final
Colombian soccer player killed by lightning
Croatia U-21 international Popovic killed in car crash
Thursday, 24 October
Brazil still without coach for South Korean trip
Argentina's Marioni banned in Spanish passport probe.
Roberto Carlos eyes golden end to 2002

Copyright © 1994-2002 FIFA. All rights reserved.
  Copyright © 1994-2002 En-Linea, Inc. All rights reserved.