home      service centre   |   publications   |   football family   |   competitions   

Eriksson says he will see out England contract

© Reuters Limited 2001

LONDON, July 9 (Reuters) - England coach Sven Goran Eriksson says he has no intention of quitting before his five-year contract expires, despite being quoted in a Swedish newspaper as saying he might not last the distance.

Saturday's Aftonbladet quoted Eriksson, a Swede, as saying: "Just as Tony Blair told me: 'We'll see who remains in his post the longest.' I don't think I'll stay for five years." Eriksson, on holiday in his native country, said he had spoken to the British prime minister last month, shortly after the British Labour Party leader was elected for his second term of office. Eriksson also said he found it difficult to deal with the long periods between matches at international level and indicated that he would eventually like to return to club management. Some English newspapers seized on the comments as meaning he was considering stepping down at some point.

But in a statement issued by the English FA on Monday he said his comments had been misinterpreted and that he was merely reflecting on the fickle nature of soccer management contracts.

"I have a contract with England for five years, which I am extremely proud of," he said. "I hope to survive and complete that contract. But, of course, in football you never know." Eriksson, the first foreigner to coach England, has led his adopted country to a record five straight wins since taking charge in January.

The 53-year-old took the England job after leading Lazio to the Italian league and cup double in 2000. To date, he has enjoyed a smooth ride from the English media, famed for savaging the national team's manager at the first sign of problems.

Reports provided by

Monday, 16 July
Big Phil leaves his mark on Brazil's boys in blue
Ellis Park disaster inquiry begins
Two African World Cup qualifiers moved forward
Confident Nigeria coach names squad for Ghana qualifier
Sunday, 15 July
Brazil beat Peru to end run of four defeats
Leading scorers in African World Cup qualifiers
Five changes to South Africa squad for Malawi date
Saturday, 14 July
Morocco miss their chance
South Africa cruise to 2-0 win over Malawi
Albania's coach Zhega sacked over poor results
Friday, 13 July
Uruguay, Costa Rica win in Copa America
Mexico hand Brazil fourth successive defeat
Thursday, 12 July
Platt named England under-21 coach
Wednesday, 11 July
Morocco out to match Cameroon's World Cup record
Leading scorers in African World Cup qualifiers
Tuesday, 10 July
Honduras to take Argentina spot in Copa
Argentina confirm Copa America withdrawal
Kalou misses second Ivory Coast World Cup game
Zambia recall Tana for World Cup qualifier
African soccer digest
CAF delegation to make final Mali inspection

Copyright © 1994-2001 FIFA. All rights reserved.
  Copyright © 1994-2001 En-Linea, Inc. All rights reserved.