home      service centre   |   publications   |   football family   |   competitions   

Adriano refuses to give up dream

© Reuters 2002

ROME, March 9 (Reuters) - Brazil forward Adriano said on Saturday he believes he can push his way into Brazil's World Cup plans.

The on-loan Inter Milan forward has scored five goals in eight games for Fiorentina since joining them on loan earlier this year and has been descibed as the most exciting talent to come out of Brazil since Ronaldo.

But he has rarely featured for Brazil since moving to Inter from Flamengo last summer. "The World Cup is a dream," Adriano said in SportWeek magazine. "I am looking towards it until the time of reckoning when the squad is announced. To dream is not forbidden, on the contrary, it's beautiful."

Adriano, 20, is likely to play a bigger part for Inter next season after acclimatising himself to Serie A but added that he still feels very much a part of the club.

"In truth I have never been fully detached from Inter. I continue to contact (Christian) Vieri, (Francesco) Toldo, Ronaldo and I often speak with President (Massimo) Moratti," he added.

IMPORTANT WORDS
"I speak about my emotions and football, important words." Adriano revealed that he tries to learn from Inter team mate Ronaldo, whose place he could take in the Brazil squad if the Inter number nine fails to recover from his latest injury. "As a footballer, he is unreachable, a myth. I try and learn from the way he handles himself off the pitch. It pleases me, for example, helping babies from my country.

"On May 7 I will return to Rio de Janeiro and will present a mountain of balls and games. "President Moratti has opened a football school in Brazil, a great initiative and that could bring Inter many future champions."

He added that he listens to the doctrine of Brazil's former World Cup winning coach Mario Zagallo, who coached him in his formative years.

"Every day I remember his phrase: 'to go forward in life and in football, you need to never feel you have arrived.' It's an important lesson."

Adriano's perforamces at Fiorentina have caught the eye but the club are still eight points away from safety in Serie A.

Adriano added: "Our position upsets me; the club, the coach, the fans have welcomed me with open arms and until the end of the season, I'll be looking to score as many goals as possible." Seventeenth-placed Fiorentina face Udinese on Sunday.

Reports provided by

Friday, 15 March
Mauritius bid to end poor record against Madagascar
Pakistan government vetoes Jaffna as Sri Lankan venue
Mexico coach unhappy despite 4-0 win over Albania
Finland trio to miss South Korea clash
China match-fixing referees may face prison terms
Thursday, 14 March
Dane Helveg doubtful for Ireland friendly
Sweden's Hedman finds inner peace through taekwondo
Germany's Jancker out of U.S. warm-up game
Wednesday, 13 March
Japan's Troussier calls up Santos for Ukraine match
Romania drop Ilie for Ukraine friendly
Chinese women's league plans to import players
Tuesday, 12 March
Ronaldo gets Brazil call for Yugoslavia friendly
Bulgaria appoints new referees' chief
S.African coach Queiroz resigns
Tunisia announce five warm-up games in May
Scan confirms Dugarry out for a month
UEFA to resolve Romania's Euro 2004 qualifier row
Troussier kicks media out of Japan training
Croat Jozic mulls new names for Slovenia friendly
South Africa coach threatens to quit
Monday, 11 March
Maldini gets work permit, announces Paraguay squad
Israel offers Moller Nielsen two-year contract extension
Russia's under-21 team cancels friendly in Israel
Svensson set to return after injury scare
France's Thuram out for a month
Latin America round-up
Croatian Jozic looks for midfield alternatives
Sunday, 10 March
Lewis strike gives U.S. win over Ecuador
Dugarry injured, could miss Scotland warmup
Le Saux's England chances fade after Cup red card
Dane Jorgensen could miss Ireland friendly

Copyright © 1994-2002 FIFA. All rights reserved.
  Copyright © 1994-2002 En-Linea, Inc. All rights reserved.