home      service centre   |   publications   |   football family   |   competitions   

Japan coach Zico set to stand by Nakamura

© Reuters 2002

TOKYO, Oct 17 (Reuters) - Japan coach Zico is set to stand by midfielder Shunsuke Nakamura despite an error-strewn performance on his international return in the 1-1 draw with Jamaica on Wednesday. Left out of the World Cup squad by previous coach Philippe Troussier, Nakamura was recalled by Zico after impressing since his pre-season move to Italian club Reggina but he failed to make an impact against Jamaica.

The 24-year-old repeatedly gave away possession and lent little support to captain Hidetoshi Nakata and fellow midfielders Junichi Inamoto and Shinji Ono, who put Japan ahead in the seventh minute in Tokyo.

But after watching substitute Ricardo Fuller snatch an 80th minute equaliser for Jamaica, Zico insisted he would persevere with Nakamura. "True, Nakamura was not at his best. But it's more of a psychological barrier for him. He was dropped from the World Cup squad and now he wants to prove himself," the Brazilian said.

"But of course we will persevere with him, coax him through and help him get over this barrier."

Nakamura, who has played 22 times for Japan, has carried the "luxury player" tag in the past and was dropped by Troussier for the FIFA World Cup" in favour of the more combative Mitsuo Ogasawara.

Zico, however, reiterated his faith in Nakamura.

"He was taking too many touches and gave away the ball too much. But after his FIFA World Cup" disappointment, he was perhaps trying too hard. That's natural," said the 49-year-old.

Zico also defended his decision to play Inamoto in a holding role in a new-look 4-4-2 formation despite his six goals for English premier league club Fulham this season.

"Inamoto played in a defensive position at the FIFA World Cup" and still scored (two) goals. The system is flexible enough to allow the midfielders to switch positions," he said.

"This time it was Ono who got himself into a scoring position and took his chance."

But Jamaica striker Barry Hayles, who plays alongside Inamoto at Fulham, said that he was relieved to see his team mate occupying a deeper role on Wednesday.

"I know what Junichi is capable of, so it was relief to see him in that kind of position. We were delighted with a draw against a very good Japanese team," he said.

Inamoto, meanwhile, was already looking forward to the visit of Manchester United in the premier league on Saturday.

"The jetlag it is easier going back from Japan, so I hope I can play," he said. "I think (David) Beckham has got more fans in Japan than me now, though."

Reports provided by

Thursday, 24 October
Brazil still without coach for South Korean trip
Argentina's Marioni banned in Spanish passport probe.
Roberto Carlos eyes golden end to 2002
Wednesday, 23 October
Egypt favourites to host 2006 African Nations Cup
Angry Cardozo threatens to quit Paraguay
Veron waiting for Argentina call-up
Palestinian national team hunt Latin players
Tuesday, 22 October
Arsenal can fire me into France team - Cygan
Bobic on his way back to Germany team - Voeller
Veteran striker Selimani dropped from Tanzania squad
Monday, 21 October
Unsung Venezuela overcome Ecuador in friendly
S.Korea searching for new coach after sacking of Park
Sunday, 20 October
Seaman says he will not retire from international stage
Saturday, 19 October
South Korea coach sacked
Friday, 18 October
Boniek says he will quit if Poland miss Euro 2004
Israeli teams face heavy Cyprus security bills
Uruguayan footballers threaten to strike
Japan hopeful of Brazil friendly in March

Copyright © 1994-2002 FIFA. All rights reserved.
  Copyright © 1994-2002 En-Linea, Inc. All rights reserved.