home      service centre   |   publications   |   football family   |   competitions   

Scolari insists Brazil will qualify despite Uruguay loss

© Reuters Limited 2001

MONTEVIDEO, July 1 (Reuters) - Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari insisted his team will qualify for next year's World Cup, despite losing a key qualifier with Uruguay on Sunday on his debut.

"The idea that we could miss out on the Cup has not entered my head," said the man known as Big Phil. "We've got three games to come at home and we are going to continue working. We are going to analyse where we went wrong and work towards the Paraguay game, making our home advantage count."

Scolari said the only difference between the two teams was the penalty which Federico Magallanes converted to give Uruguay a 1-0 win. "The game was settled by one incident," he said. "Uruguay made very few chances and Brazil also made very few chances."

Uruguay's Alvaro Recoba, who won the penalty, celebrated by shaving his head. The Inter Milan player last week became one of more than one dozen players to be given one-year bans by the Italian Football League in a false passport scandal.

"I'm going to be a bit cold but I'll do anything for Uruguay," said the player. "I'm glad that at last we've been able to make the public happy. We won because Brazil are not used to being attacked."

The result left Brazil fourth in the South American World Cup qualifying group, ahead of Uruguay on goal difference. The top four teams qualify automatically and the fifth plays off against Oceania region winners Australia.

Brazil have five games to play but must still visit Argentina and Bolivia, at 3,600 metres above sea level.

Reports provided by

Monday, 9 July
Zidane makes world record move to Real Madrid
Ronaldo to resume training with Inter
Uruguay send reserve team to Copa America
Eriksson says he will see out England contract
Saturday, 7 July
Famous stadium says goodbye to Young Boys
Germany win women's European Championship again
Cameroon looking for new coach
Friday, 6 July
Argentina pull out of re-arranged Copa America
Thursday, 5 July
Copa America going ahead this month in Colombia
New Namibia coach rings changes for Egypt trip
Morocco name unchanged squad for World Cup qualifier
Troussier praises Japan's defence at Kirin Cup
Wednesday, 4 July
Monaco's Nonda recalled by DR Congo
South Africa recall Khumalo for 50th cap
Japan beat Yugoslavia 1-0 to win Kirin Cup
Tuesday, 3 July
Japan ready for "final" against Yugoslavia
African soccer digest

Copyright © 1994-2001 FIFA. All rights reserved.
  Copyright © 1994-2001 En-Linea, Inc. All rights reserved.